26.6.06

REFLECTION ON MY EDUCATION

REFELCTIONS
I believe my education was extremely valuable and wholesome, not only did I learn about life, I also learnt a great deal about education itself. I was educated in the Rudolf Steiner system, from my first day of school to my last. I enjoyed nearly every day of school and never wanted to miss a day, even if I was really sick. With an emphasis on the individual child, I always felt comfortable in the classroom and developed a passion for learning and understanding. The Rudolf Steiner philosophy is very complex, most of what I understand about it, I have learnt through my 13 years of Steiner Education. Both of my parents are Steiner teachers, so my whole childhood was imbued with this wholesome way of life. Rudolf Steiner talks about the importance of the threefold man, head and thinking, heart and feeling, hands and willing. Each school day consists of 3 lessons: Main Lesson, Middle Lesson and Block Lesson. Main lesson activates the children’s thinking and encourages their thought-life to grow and expand. Middle Lesson increases their creative and artistic abilities through subjects like music, painting, drawing and singing. Block lesson involves the hands and limbs, physically doing something, making something, for example woodwork, building, knitting, clay work and sewing. This concept of the threefold nature of man is used throughout Steiner education and is the basis of developing young people as wholesome human beings ready for the world and the challenges it brings. Steiner teachers strive to balance these 3 important aspects of the child. I always respected my teachers, they were all so dedicated and supportive, making school life not only interesting, but often fun as well. From my experience, Steiner teachers are valued and respected by their students, they not only come to work every day to teach, they come to support and guide their students. A teacher’s guidance and friendship is so important, it helps to make the students strive their utmost to develop further in every aspect. I am really grateful for my education, my teacher’s have not only developed my knowledge and understanding of the world and myself, they have planted seeds in my mind, questions still to be answered, and paths still to be pursued. There are always many stories we can tell, many experiences, moments, memories, can be retold with ease. Can we create stories, develop our world the way perceive our lives? Many answers create more questions, I believe that education should be endeavouring to ask questions, developing interesting thinkers, instead of always giving students questions which they only need to find an answer for.

1 comment:

eurythmy12 said...

What a beautiful way of explaining the multiple intelligences! Thankyou for your heart-warming reflections on your own expeiences in a Steiner school.